Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A few of my favorite recipes....

So as you all know, I'm addicted to cooking. Completely, ridiculously, addicting to cooking. I spend the spare minutes at school thinking about what I am cooking for dinner that night. I find myself in the grocery store more than ever before. I LIVE for the every other Wednesday when I get my veggie co-op (oh, yes... Bok Choy is in the next order!). And as such, I posted pictures of my food online quite a bit. So here are a few of my favorite recipes. I've stolen from lots of places. I've changed some to make them mine.

So make them your own.

Enjoy!

Our Debate Evening appetizers included-- (and yes, I created my own goofy names)

"All-American" Asparagus

bundle of asparagus
bacon

I took three stalks of asparagus and wrapped them tightly with two slices of bacon. I then grilled them on the George Foreman for about 12 minutes, spraying the foreman with spray olive oil!

Stars and Stripes Stuffed Mushrooms

1 lb of whole mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onions
4 cloves crushed garlic
spinich (I used 4 cups of fresh baby spinich, cut into strips -- recipe calls for frozen)
4 ounces cream cheese (I used fat free)
salt and pepper
1 1/2 worcestershire sauce
parmesan cheese

1. Clean the mushrooms and pull the stalks out of the mushrooms.
2. chop the stalks and onions and saute them with spray olive oil (or butter as the recipe calls for) in a frying pan.
3. When they get soft, add garlic and then spinich.
4. Saute it all together until the mixture is well-mixed and cooked.
5. Add the cream cheese and mix as it melts.
6. Add salt and pepper and worchesthire sauce.
7. Stuff the mixture into the clean mushrooms. Top with grated parmesan cheese.
8. Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Cranky Old Men Crabby Bites

1 can of crab, drained
1 scallion, finely minced
1/2 pound bacon

1. Flake the crab. Mix the scallion with the crab.
2. Cut the bacon strips into two shorter strips.
3. Spoon a spoonful of the crab mixure to the end of each bacon strip and wrap the bacon around the crab.
4. Secure the wraps with a toothpick.
5. Broil for 10 minutes turning them over 1-2 times.

Note: I added a tablespoon of feta cheese to have of the mixture. They were really good as well.

Dipping "Duck Sauce"

1 bag of frozen peaches (1 pound)
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons of Splenda
salt
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 clove garlic

Mix all in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and them simmer for 30 minutes until fruit is soft. Then transfer to a blender and mix the sauce until smoother.

Now to a few of my favorites....

Baked Parsnips

parsnips
salt
pepper

1. peel parsnips and cut french fry style.
2. Put in oven baking dish and spray with spray olive oil. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour until soft.
3. Once soft, take out and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Eat warm-- heavenly!!

Stuffed Peppers

4 colored bell peppers
1 pound of lean turkey or ground beef
1 packet of taco seasoning
1/2 cup of low-fat or fat free ricotta cheese
3-4 tablespoons of tomato sauce

1. Cut off the top of the bell peppers and clean out the seeds.
2. Brown the meat. Once cooked, add the taco seasoning and tomato sauce until the meat is covered.
3. Once the seasoning is mixed throughout, add the ricotta and mix into the mixture.
4. Once the mixture is warm and ricotta is melted, fill each pepper.
5. Top with a bit of grated parmeasan cheese.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes.

Spinich Mushroom Tortilla Cups

low-fat, low-fat wheat tortillas
sliced mushrooms
cut onion
fresh baby spinich
mozerella cheese

1. Prepare a muffin tin. Spray tins that will be used with cooking spray. Then place a tortilla in each muffin spot.
2. Saute the mushrooms and onions with a bit of olive oil.
3. Once the mushrooms and onions are soft, add to a bowl of fresh baby spinich. Mix.
4. Add about 1/2 of mozerella. (I used low-fat). Mix.
5. Spoon the mixture into each tortilla.
6. Put a bit of cheese on the top of each tortilla cup.
7. Bake until tortillas are warm and cheese is melted.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

one head of caulflower
1 egg
1 cup of cheese of your choice
pizza seasoning
oregano

1. Grate caulflower to grind in a food processor.
2. Put in a microwavable dish and microwave for 8 minutes.
3. After you microwave it, add one egg and mix throughly.
4. Add cheese and mix throughly.
5. Add spices to your liking.
6. Spread out on a baking sheet which has been sprayed with cooking spray.
7. Bake 12-15 minutes until firm and browning.
8. Take out and cover with your favorite toppings.
9. Put back in the over to melt cheese, etc.

I hope yall enjoy! Some of these aren't real exact because that's kind of how I cook! Just experiement and see what you can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment