Sunday, January 20, 2013

Moving Down the Road


Today I accomplished a lot. And it all happened while sitting on a small, very hard bicycle seat. I rode 47 miles today and just may have found something myself I didn’t know I had.

 

So here is my secret. I am so incredible insecure about my abilities. I talk a big game. I am supportive of everything I know and I am truly supportive of my students, friends and family. I know they can achieve anything they set their minds to. And yet somehow, I seem to lack that same desire myself.

 

Well today, I just may have realized I could do the same thing. I signed up for this race to ride with my friends. I have ridden 20 miles several times and wanted to see if I could actually ride 45 miles. I had no idea if I could. And truly, I was pretty sure that I probably wouldn’t be able to. But I figured it would be a good first try. There would be SAG trucks and if I simply couldn’t go on, I knew they would help me out. And while I talk a huge game, it wasn’t until mile 32 or 34 that I really honestly realized that I was going to ride 45 miles (which was really 47).

 

It’s pretty much a metaphor for most of us. We talk a bit game but do we really believe in ourselves? When we say, we are going to do this or that, what keeps us from really believing it? I think that pride can be good – because sometimes it may be what gets us to the finish line – but I wonder what would happen if we actually believed in what we could achieve to begin with?

 

I know we have all failed before. We all have different battles… mine is with food and fitness. I know that the people in my life have all dealt and continue to deal with different burdens. And all of us, no doubt, have struggled with those. But I want to stop believing that my failures in the past are going to keep me from achieving goals in my future. I don’t want to be the girl that makes promises and plans without really believing in myself that I accomplish those plans from the get-go. I want to know when I set out to ride 47 or 100 miles or run 10 miles or run 26 miles that I will really be able to accomplish it. I want to really believe wholeheartedly that I will get to my goal weight one day and be able to maintain it.

 

Having these experiences and ah-ha moments don’t cure all. But they surely help start me on the right path. So what are you going to believe in today?

No comments:

Post a Comment