Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Confession Time

I've needed to write this post for about a week and I've started it so many times. But I couldn't finish it. I simply couldn't make myself admit - publiclly and to all of you - that I am struggling. But I have been - and I am.

So since I got back from Europe, I have been struggling with motivation. I simply have lost it. I don't much want to go to the gym. I haven't been as careful with food and watching what I eat. I just have lost some of that drive, some of that umpf that was pushing me. I have no idea where it has gone but I desperately need it back.

Last week was the pinnacle of my deception - mainly to myself. I ate a lot of fast food last week. And while I made OK choices when I went through the drive through, I felt ashamed. I didn't want anyone to see me in the drive through. It was a dirty little secret. I hated that I felt that shame. I'm an almost 32-year-old woman who was hiding her fast food bags so that anyone who got into my car could see it. I started this process so I wouldn't hide from the things I was doing anymore. And yet, last week, there I was. I was hiding from the truth- yet again.

It all came to a head on Sunday morning after spin class. I made it to spin after not setting my alarm and still being up in plenty of time. It was a great great class and I desperately needed it to feel strong and to really enjoy a workout. I walked out with my friend Kelli and while looking at her new car started talking. And before I knew it, I was crying. I told her my dirty little secret.

I told her that I felt like I was letting people down. By sharing my story and my struggles, I have gotten such an amazing outpouring of love and support. And I don't want to do anything to disappoint anyone.

But what Kelli pointed out was that if I was honest, I would just be showing everyone how human I am. So here it is - I am human. I have messed up. I fell off the wagon - hell, I jumped head first off the wagon.

But the truth is - I didn't like it down there. I started this process for a reason. I love the way I feel. I love the way I look in my size 20 jeans. I love that I stop and look in the mirror and have to double take sometimes because I simply don't believe it's really me. I love that I climbed castles all over Scotland and could breathe when I got to the top of the towers.

So I start over. I'm not going to be Pollyanna here and say I know how. Just wanting to NOT be in a funk doesn't magically make me not in a funk. I'm still struggling. I'm still bored in my workouts. I'm still bored with my food. I'm still struggling to find the time to make it all fit - and to have a life and ENJOY this life I have fought for for so long.

I am almost at my one year anniversary from starting this journey. I started last September 19th. In the 11 plus months since this began, I have lost almost 100 pounds. I have about six pounds to get to 100 pounds. I've been this close before and I've gotten scared before and stopped.

I am scared. I don't know what this new me looks like. I don't know what it feels like to be someone who is 150 or even 200 pounds lighter. But damnit, this time, I want to know. Yes, it scares me but I want to know. I've fought so hard to get here, I don't want to give up this time.

I have no idea how I am going to get here. But I'm going to still keep fighting my way. I'm going to talk to Adrian tomorrow and ask for his help. He's helped me through little struggles before. This one is huge and hopefully he can shed some light.

And I am going to stop hiding. I'm going to stop hiding my bad habits. I'm going to stop hiding from the fact that its OK to be successful here.

Again, I have no idea how. But I believe in a God who will show me the way. Maybe its time to ask him for help as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment